Kbb.com Names 2009 Top 10 Back-to-School Cars
Editors Name Top New, Used Back-to-School Rides; Offer Shopping, Buying Tips for Students and Parents
IRVINE, Calif., Aug. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- The 2009 Top 10 Back-to-School Cars, www.kbb.com/schoolrides09, today were named by the expert editors from Kelley Blue Book, www.kbb.com, the leading provider of new car and used car information. With students heading back to high school and college campuses nationwide, the expert kbb.com editors offer their top recommendations for getting to and from class in an economical and reliable new or used car. The editors also provide car shopping and buying tips to aid both students and parents in this all-important purchase decision.
Along with choosing the right books, calculator and backpack for the upcoming academic year, the return to school often calls for selecting a new (or used) ride. Choosing the right kind of car can be a difficult process, especially when parents and their children are at odds with what they need versus what they want in a set of wheels. While features such as reliability, safety, affordability and practicality are important to any parent, how quickly their car accelerates and how cool it looks when cruising to the school football game are often bigger concerns for students.
The good news is that there are plenty of vehicles out there that can please both parties. Those considering a new entry-level vehicle will find the latest and greatest safety and technology advancements, a full warranty and, of course, that new-car smell. If saving money places higher on the "must" list, then there are plenty of dependable used cars out there that would suit the needs of any young adult.
"This year especially, with 2009's tough economy and recent new-car-purchase stimulus programs like 'Cash for Clunkers,' we're seeing abundant deals on great back-to-school cars," said Jack R. Nerad, executive editorial director and executive market analyst for Kelley Blue Book's kbb.com. "Vehicles are better built and better equipped than ever before, and there are a variety of options available to suit the needs of any parent, and inevitably satisfy the wants of any teen."
Every new car listed on this year's kbb.com Top 10 Back-to-School Cars list features New Car Blue Book Values starting under $18,000. Kelley Blue Book's New Car Blue Book Values reflect real-world transaction prices and provide a more useful comparison point than Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP).
Every used car identified has a Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value of less than $12,000. These values represent what a consumer can expect their local dealer to ask for the vehicle in question, and from which they can negotiate downward. For each model, the kbb.com editors chose the most recent model-year available that came in under $12,000, priced using mileage matching each car's age. The editors chose 2005 as the earliest qualifying year.
Sample Choices from kbb.com's 2009 Top 10 Back-to-School Cars List
2010 Kia Soul
2009 Ford Focus
2007 Suzuki SX4
2006 Honda Civic
2005 Chevrolet Silverado
For the remaining 2009 Top 10 Back-to-School Cars choices, including full editorial commentary and reasoning behind each of the editors' picks, visit the Top 10 Back-to-School Cars story in kbb.com's Latest News section at www.kbb.com/schoolrides09.
CAR SHOPPING AND BUYING TIPS FOR STUDENTS AND PARENTS:
Arguably some of the vehicles on the lists may be cooler than others (but cool is, after all, in the eye of the beholder), and some are more practical, but each offers a balance of attributes that qualifies it as a great option for a back-to-school ride. To help ensure driving and ownership satisfaction into the coming school year and beyond, follow these guidelines for getting the right car at the right price:
- Do Your Research - All the information you need to put together a short list of favorite vehicles is available at kbb.com, including expert reviews, real-world values, side-by-side comparisons, safety and reliability ratings and more. There are even tools like a newly enhanced Perfect Car Finder®: Photo Edition that can help you decide exactly what ride is best for you.
- Consider Your Green Options - Visit the comprehensive KBB® Green section at www.kbb.com/green to learn about fuel-efficient vehicle options and various environmentally friendly technologies, participate in Green blogs and forums, take the Fuel Efficiency Challenge and more.
- Drive Two or Three Different Models - It's easy to enjoy a test drive in the vehicle at the top of your list, but without driving one or two others to compare, you might easily miss out on something you'd like even more.
- Buying Used? - Whether buying from a private party or a dealer, it's always a good idea to have any used vehicle checked out by a reputable independent service shop. When purchasing from an individual, print the private-party value from kbb.com as well as Kelley Blue Book's 27-point Vehicle Condition Quiz to take with you. These items will help you determine the "actual" condition and value of the vehicle.
- Buying New? - Always use a vehicle's New Car Blue Book Value, not Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, as your basis for comparing vehicles and negotiating with the dealer. New Car Blue Book Value reflects real-world selling prices, which are often hundreds or even thousands of dollars less than MSRP.
- Parents: Don't buy a car for your teen without driving it yourself, as your experience can help you identify problems or shortcomings that your teen may not notice. Also, trust your own judgment and don't let your teen talk you into buying a vehicle with which you're not fully comfortable.
- Teens: Do all of your homework before you meet with mom or dad; show them you are responsible and ready for a car, and make it easy for them to say "yes" to your well-researched choice.
About Kelley Blue Book (www.kbb.com)
Since 1926, Kelley Blue Book, The Trusted Resource®, has provided vehicle buyers and sellers with the new and used vehicle information they need to accomplish their goals with confidence. The company's top-rated Web site, www.kbb.com, provides the most up-to-date pricing and values, including the New Car Blue Book® Value, which reveals what people actually are paying for new cars. The company also reports vehicle pricing and values via products and services, including software products and the famous Blue Book® Official Guide. According to the C.A. Walker Research Solutions, Inc. - 2008 Spring Automotive Web Site Usefulness Study, kbb.com is the most useful automotive information Web site among new and used vehicle shoppers, and half of online vehicle shoppers visit kbb.com. Kbb.com is a leading provider of new car prices, car reviews and news, used car blue book values, auto classifieds and car dealer locations. No other medium reaches more in-market vehicle shoppers than kbb.com.
SOURCE Kelley Blue Book
SOURCE: Kelley Blue Book
Web site: http://www.kbb.com/
Director, Public Relations
|For general or customer service inquiries,
please call 1-800-258-3266.